This unit will give learners an insight into business management. The unit will explore the diverse organizational structures and the process of strategic management where learners will familiarise themselves with analytical tools such as PESTEL and SWOT.
Learners will look into different management and leadership styles and understand the difference between manager and leader as well as understand how the new workplace is putting new challenges to the management.
Learners will become familiar with the notion of motivation and how different motivational theories can assist in providing the right stimulus to keep and retain employees. Learners will come to recognize the importance of creating effective teams by understanding the steps involved in the HR planning, recruitment and selection process.
Learners will become acquainted with strategies of how to manage conflict and understand the benefits of giving and receiving feedback.
This program will be most useful for anyone who is seeking to learn more about business management, has recently been promoted to a management position or is seeking to achieve a formal award in business management
Structure and Assessment
Course delivery is planned to be face-to-face lessons along with practical assignments where applicable.
Duration – 30 Hours
Note: Additional hours as directed by the Lecturer need to be dedicated by way of Self-Study / Research / Assignments / Projects / Presentations / Group-Work or similar.
At the end of the course, learners will be assessed through a written assessment.
This assessment includes a time constrain assessment (TCA) covering the theoretical aspects and a take home assessment to explore further their understanding when presented with a case study, to which they would be required to analyse and evaluate a given scenario.
LO1 Recognise diverse organizational structures and the strategic management process to achieve a sustainable strategic competitive advantage.
LO2 Explain the variety of management styles to achieve organisational goals and leadership styles to increase fellowship amongst employees.
LO3 Analyse motivational theories to support relationship building.
LO4 Create effective teamwork to create positive team spirit.
LO5 Appraise the abilities and qualities of a good manager to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of business activities.
The following are the suggested pre-requisites and/or entry requirements needed:
· Access to the course is open to participants who can show evidence of work experience leading to Administrative and Middle Management roles
· Participants are expected to have a good, working knowledge of English, which will be considered as an asset in favour of participants
Applicants who do not meet all the minimum eligibility criteria, and who have attained the age of 21 years, may submit an application under the maturity clause. A Curriculum Vitae and a Motivation Letter (the latter clearly indicating what motivates the applicant to apply for this particular course) are required.
These applicants must demonstrate that they stand to benefit and show that they are able to follow the programme through an interview held for the purpose. Additionally, applicants under the maturity clause may be evaluated through an assessment.
The Admissions Department may suggest pre-eligibility courses any applicant would be required to follow before being considered eligible for this course.
Course participants may be awarded either an MCAST Certificate of Attendance or an MCAST Certificate of Achievement.
MCAST Certificate of Attendance
· An MCAST Certificate of Attendance will be awarded to those candidates who attend at least 80% of the lessons.
MCAST Certificate of Achievement
· An MCAST Certificate of Achievement will be awarded to those candidates who satisfy the 80% attendance criteria AND ALSO choose submit course assignments / or sit for assessments and achieves a Pass mark or higher.
· Students who opt not to submit assignments or sit for the assessments or fail to achieve a Pass mark will however be awarded an MCAST Certificate of Attendance provided that they fulfil the minimum attendance criteria as stated above.