Level 4 Award in Dementia Care
This course is aimed at care workers currently working in the field, who come into contact with service users who have dementia. Upon completion of this course, the learners will be better equipped to deal with the day-to-day issues that can arise when dealing with such service users in the various stages of the disease.
Unit 1 Dementia
1. Explain dementia and its effects on persons living with dementia and their families
2. Understand the factors that can influence communication and interaction with individuals living with dementia
3. Identify behavioural issues that affect individuals living with dementia
Unit 2 Dementia in Practice
4. Adopt a person centred approach when caring for and supporting individuals living with dementia taking into consideration ethical issues
5. Create meaningful activities for persons living with dementia
6. Use assistive technology support for individuals living with dementia
7. Deliver personal care to individuals living with dementia
Unit 3 – Administration of Medication to Individuals with Dementia
8. Understand the common medications available to, and appropriate for individuals with different stages of dementia
9. Understand the risks and benefits involved when administering drugs to individuals with dementia
10. Identify and report any side-effects that arise after treatment
Unit 4 Vocational Experience – Practicum
11. Assist service users with dementia with the basic physical functions
12. Assist service users with dementia that have limited mobility
13. Apply services according to the care needs of the service users at different stages of dementia taking into account psycho-social considerations
Minimum Level 3 Award in a related Care area, minimum 9 ECVETS.
Provisional applications on the bases of Maturity will be considered on a case-by-case basis.