MCAST is pleased to offer Learning Support Educators 1 with an opportunity to further their studies through the Higher Certificate in Inclusive Education (30 ECTS, MQF level 5) study programme. The training will focus on The Philosophy and Sociology of Inclusive Education, IEPs, Numeracy and Literacy, Supporting Students with Particular Needs and work placement.
Successful completion of this course paves the way for Top-Up Degree in Inclusive Education through a modular design, approach and delivery specifically targeted for mature students.
The duration of this programme of study is of 185 contact hours. This excludes further hours of self-study and research which form an integral part of the course. The 185 guided hours also exclude a work-placement period of 6 weeks, which is mandatory. Unless otherwise stated/announced, Training will be held On-Line in the evenings via an On-Line platform, details of which will be made available to all candidates in good time before the start of any programme, with sessions being delivered typically twice a week for a period of 26 weeks circa (excluding Practicum), with each session being 3½ hours long. Successful candidates will be awarded the MCAST Higher Certificate in Inclusive Education at the end of the course. A minimum of 80% attendance is mandatory.
Interested applicants may apply online or either at the Office of Part Time Courses at MCAST, Students’ House, Paola or at MCAST Campus at Ghajnsielem, Gozo. On confirmation of the scheduled course, all candidates will receive instructions how to access the MCAST Central Management Information System where any supporting documentation attesting the entry requirements need to be uploaded.
Programme Learning OutcomesAt the end of the programme the learner will be able to:
• be in possession of the Award in Inclusive Education, or a Certificate in Education for Learning Support Assistants (10 week course) or equivalent;
• be in possession of the Certificate in Inclusive Education (20 week course) or equivalent;
• be in possession of Matriculation or SEC passes at Grade 5 or better in English, Maltese and Maths OR an MCAST full Level 3 Diploma or higher
• be in possession of the European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL) or equivalent;
• be in possession of passes in English, Maltese and Maths Proficiency Tests as approved by MCAST
Please note that as of 2019, the eligibility requirements with respect to Proficiency Levels in English Maltese and Mathematics, along with exemptions from the same have been revised as follows.
Holders of documentation showing possession of the following qualifications, are to be presented by applicants, in view of obtaining exemption from the Proficiency Tests/Proficiency Courses applicable for entry to the above mentioned programme of studies delivered through MG2I:
· A MATSEC Advanced / Intermediate Level grade E or better in Pure Mathematics, English Language and Maltese, will provide exemption in the respective subject for which the grade will be presented;
· A SEC Level grade 5 or better in Mathematics, English Language and Maltese, will provide exemption in the respective subject for which the grade will be presented;
· An Ordinary Level (external awarding body) grade C or better in Mathematics, English Language and Maltese, will provide exemption in the respective subject for which the grade will be presented;
· An MCAST MQF Level 3 full qualification (awarded from 2011 onwards) clearly showing successful completion of Maltese, English and Mathematics studied as Key Skills – an official Record of Achievement / Transcript is to be presented together with the respective Certificate. This also applies for courses offered by MCAST and leading to UK level 2 qualifications issued by UK Awarding Bodies such as BTEC;
· An MCAST MQF Level 4 full qualification (awarded from 2012 onwards) clearly showing successful completion of Maltese, English and/or Mathematics studied as Key Skills as part of the MCAST qualification – an official Record of Achievement / Transcript, is to be presented together with the respective Certificate.
· An official document showing a successful outcome of similar Proficiency Testing leading to entry / exemption as administered by University of Malta. The date of this UoM Proficiency testing, shall be at the earliest eight years back from the month of current application submission (ex:- January 2011 for applications submitted to MG2I in January 2019). The subject/s in which the applicant would have been assessed as proficient in, are to be clearly identified in view of MCAST endorsing exemption in Maltese, English and / or Mathematics.
Applicants who will not present any of the above, will be expected to sit for a Proficiency Exam administered by MG2I, in all or any from Maltese, English and Mathematics, the outcome of which will identify any eligibility for exemption from the respective study units forming part of the programme of studies.
Applicants failing the Proficiency Examination will need to attend a Proficiency Course in the failed subject, and secure a grade of Pass in the Proficiency Course, before being able to submit their application to continue their studies through MCAST’s Higher Certificate in Inclusive Education – (K/A 30 week course).
Candidates may sit for MCAST Proficiency Tests before course commencement. Details will be issued by the Office of the Part-Time Courses at MCAST in due course.
Applicants may be asked to undergo an interview.
If the number of eligible applicants exceeds the number of available places, applicants will be selected according to the following criteria:
1. Qualifications2. Work experience 3. Performance in interview
Eligible for Get Qualified