This is a 28 hour course. Lessons are held as indicated on the prospectus and website.
Amongst others, areas of study include;
Learning Outcome 1: Describe the breed standards when presented with a particular breed
- Identification & Description of breed standards
- Canine breed standards, canine breed groups, a description of the features in relation to the quality of the breed presented
Learning Outcome 2: Identify and prepare various dog breeds for grooming, handling and restraint
- Classification of breed groups:
- Introduction to the various canine breeds.
- Different Species- Attitudes & Requirement
- Grooming sequence
- The basics and rationale behind grooming of the individual breeds
- Methods of shampooing, brushing, nail trimming and general aspects related to various dog species grooming
- Handling & Restraint
- Handling and restraint techniques in relation to the canine species.
- Handling animals with care during grooming
- General customer care
Learning Outcomes 3: Relate the health and nutrition to the breed and lifestyle of the dog
- Animal health and nutrition
- Introduction to canine nutrition
- Nutritional advise to pet owners
Learning Outcome 4: Recall the local and EU legislations with special emphasis to the Animal Welfare Act
- Introduction to general Animal Welfare.
- National and EU legislation are also discussed and studied.
The following are the suggested pre-requisites and/or entry requirements needed.
- Functional skills in the English languagePre-requisites:
- General awareness of animal welfare and importance of animal care
An MCAST Certificate of Attendance will be issued, provided that students attend more than 80% of lectures.
There are no summative assessments in this course.
Any material required during the course should be provided by the student.